I'm sure there's people out there who are wondering at the title of my blog. My mom thought that I was going to have some musical theme to it. I guess, though, in a way I do. If you look back through just my small amount of entries, you'll see some titles and/or lines from well-known songs.
There are a couple reasons as to why I titled the blog "Life's a Musical." One reason is because I like that quote: "Life's a musical...sing and dance." I can't remember where I read it...probably one of those e-mails that were passed around years ago with witty comments and the like. I love this quote, because it's basically telling you to let loose and have fun. Have you ever seen a musical that looks like the people are being tortured? No! Of course not! The characters are always singing about their lives and twirling around lamp posts and tap dancing on upside-down canoes. Even near the greatest peril, they sing about it!
The next reason is because, just as the characters in musicals have their songs for the moment, so do I. I'm not sure why I do it, and I know I can't help it, but things and events in life bring certain songs into my head. Sometimes I find I'm singing them aloud...while others I just keep to myself. For example: I work in an animal hospital. I've been working there for near ten years now, so I've gotten use to the regulars that come into work...by "regulars" I mean the pets. There's one dog that comes in named Leroy. Well, whenever I see him, this is what I hear in my head: "Bad, bad, Leroy Brown. Baddest dog in the whole dang town. Badder than-a ol' King Kong...Meaner than a junkyard dog!" Laugh if you will, but it's true! This little habit of mine, if you want to call it that, has helped out, though. There's another dog that comes in, a little Dachshund named Charlie Brown. I was there the day he got neutered (poor little guy!). He didn't wake up very well from his surgery, crying and whining quite loudly. I tried the normal shushing and whistling to try to quiet him, but it would only work for a second, and then he'd go back to crying. All I could think of was listening to dad's record that had "Charlie Brown" on it, so I started singing to the little dog.
"Charlie Brown...doo-de-doo-doo-doo
Charlie Brown...doo-de-doo-doo-doo
He's a clown...that's Charlie Brown
He's gonna get caught, just you wait and see
'Why's everybody always pickin' on me'?"
And you know what? It worked! He quieted down and even started wagging his tail! So now, anytime he comes in for anything, I sing him his song and he's a happy little dog again!
It's not just with the animals, though. I'll randomly think of a song, usually one I haven't heard in forever, and it's in my head all day.
The final reason, and don't think me crazy, okay? I feel...occasionally at least...that it helps me talk with God. No, I'm not trying to pull a Joan-of-Arc or say that I'm a prophet or anything huge like that. I'm completely serious with you. It usually happens during down/depressed times with me, and it could be completely in my head. You can think what you wish. I guess I'll have to give you an example. Well, I've dated a few guys before I met my husband. Every time there was something that I prayed to God for, whether it be for me and one of my exes to make it to graduation or to get back together or He would help us grow together or whatever, I always heard the song "Unanswered Prayers" by Garth Brooks. It could be COMPLETE coincidence, I know, but EVERY...SINGLE...TIME this would happen. When I met Mike, again I asked that he would help us grow together and that I would be what Mike wanted. I never heard that song. To tell you the truth, I haven't heard that song SINCE Mike and I have been together. There have been other instances, too many to explain on here in one blog, but answers I have been seeking have always been in the music I would be listening to at the time of the question/request/etc.
Songs don't usually just crop up in my mind randomly. At first I think so, but then throughout the day, the songs seem to fit to my life, like a soundtrack. And, yes, I do randomly break out in song...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment