I have this little weird thing I do. I've noticed me doing this ever since I was in middle school, I think. That's the earliest I remember doing it, anyway. What is this "little weird thing"? Well, after I have watched something, usually a movie, but sometimes after shows, I start acting like the main heroine. For instance: After watching Entrapment with Catherine Zeta-Jones, I start moving stealthily and act all coy. After Sweet Home Alabama with Reese Witherspoon, my southern accent really comes through. After watching Save the Last Dance with Julia Stiles, I'll randomly start dancing, usually gracefully and ballerina-like. Don't ask me why I do it, I just find myself almost subconsciously doing it.
So now I'm watching Sex and the City (the show). I bought the first two seasons. I love it. It's a really great chick flick-type show. It makes you want to grab a glass of wine, get into an old t-shirt and jeans or sweats, and just relax. Or, in my case, type. Now, see, my brother has kinda gotten me thinking. At Steve's wedding, Eric sat me down in between the Cha-Cha Slide and the Macarena for a chat. "Here's the thing," he says. "The whole animal thing? I think you should drop it. What do you think about free-lance journalism?"
Okay, maybe he didn't say it quite like that, but pretty darn close. Turns out he really likes my blog. I'm completely flattered, especially because all modesty aside I REALLY don't think I'm all that great. I mean, it's like I'm writing in a journal or something. I don't really think about it. But when my brothers notice something I do, I just swell up with pride, even if it's as simple as telling a joke.
So, thanks to Eric's suggestion and Carrie Bradshaw (aka Sarah Jessica Parker), I think I might like to try it. Things at work are getting a little...funny (and I don't mean "ha ha"), so I was planning on looking for a new job after Mike and I closed on this house. No, I'm not going to go exclusively free-lance. I don't even know how to go about getting started. It would just be a side job. You know, to see if any publisher/newspaper/magazine would go for it. If anyone has any ideas on this subject, I'm all ears. It could be interesting.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
can't remember if i told you but i totally agree w/ eric. i think i did tell you in a recent email but my memory is toast right now. anyhoo, he and i (and chris) talked about it on the car on the way to pittsburgh. he's right! you are a great writer.
Post a Comment